Monday, January 23, 2017

Obnoxious Advertisements: Who Do They Really Benefit?

Repetition is one of the many marketing tactics that businesses use in order to keep their products and services easily remembered by consumers. If I said, "Like a good neighbor..." or "Geico. Fifteen minutes..." I am positive that anyone with a television could finish the statements with the proper slogans for the two popular insurance companies. They are clear and concise, and they tend to conclude their witty, 30-second commercials. These companies use repetition to their advantage, however, others across other platforms, cannot say the same.

Spotify, the popular digital music streaming service, has both free and premium versions of their application. Their free version is paid for by various sponsors who place advertisements to promote their products periodically between songs or when the listener uses one of the coveted 5 skips per hour. I used the free version of Spotify for about a year before breaking down and purchasing the ad-free subscription. This was not because of the presence of the ads, but the constant repetition of the same, horrendously annoying ads that I could not seem to ignore anymore.



The most obnoxious of them all was the Fuze tea ad with Mr. T. He almost blew out my speakers when he came on every 12 minutes yelling about how fresh both he and Fuze were. The more the advertisement played, the more I began to resent Fuze, and I concluded that I would never purchase the tea because I was so irritated with their ads ruining my relaxing playlist of evening acoustics. Their repetitious advertisements caused me to act completely opposite of what Mr. T and his marketing team wanted from me.

c/o The Coca-Cola Company

Naturally following my rage and disdain for this butterfly man and his tea, I purchased a $4.99/month subscription for Spotify Premium (shoutout to that student discount) without a single regret. The business promoting themselves on Spotify ironically turned me away from their product and in turn benefitted Spotify with additional revenue from my premium subscription.

Don't thank me, Spotify. Thank your obnoxious sponsors. 





8 comments:

  1. I completely agree that repetitive advertisements annoy people. I was watching videos on YouTube the other day and the same advertisement played before every video. While I have not broken down and paid for an ad free YouTube, I can see why people would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do often wonder if companies are aware how annoying their advertisements can be. It seems that attempts by advertisers to stand out and be memorable frequently backfire because they just come off as obnoxious. I honestly cannot remember the last time that I watched an ad all the way through before a YouTube video unless it forced me to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in total agreement with this post. I didn't have a subscription either until I finally became fed up with the consistent advertisements bothering me, especially while running or doing homework. I definitely agree that some companies use persistent advertisements to their advantage, while other companies drive their current and potential consumers away with their obnoxious behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also purchased Spotify Premium after a couple months of regular Spotify. The ads were really annoying and the product was good enough for me to feel it was okay to pay for it. I think that in most cases, obnoxious ads only hurt the company. Spotify is different in that its major alternative is paying for single songs on iTunes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point on the obnoxious ads. That's why I purchased premium. Spotify also does a good job of having some ads that are focused around promoting their own playlists and new music too, offering their perks to users. I purchased Spotify over a year ago though so maybe their tactics have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that obnoxious/repetitive ads are the worse. I hate when I'm watching videos and the same advertising over and over again, i makes me lose interest in watching the actual video. I also have purchased spotify premium because of the ads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the same boat. I got spotify premium to avoid ads as well. I have also seen recently that youtube is releasing a premium option called youtube red where you get to avoid watching adds on youtube videos as well. However $10 a month seems like a lot for youtube adds personally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Just yes. I have to agree with the advertising just everywhere, having to wait 5- 30 seconds before having to skip. I have Spotify and I had tried premium a while back and it was great along with the others features that come with it, I'm gonna have to go back to it. It's funny though because now there's and ad that you can watch and it'll give you "30 min Commercial free".

    ReplyDelete